Mari Alice offers the following legal services concerning minor custody rights:

  • Minor Guardianships
  • Grandparent or Kinship Custody and Visitation Orders
  • Grandparent Caretaker Affidavit
  • Grandparent Power of Attorney

A guardianship permits an adult to have court-ordered legal rights over the minor child.  Such a guardianship can result from the death of parent/s, incarceration of parent/s, consent of the parent/s, and any other unsuitability of parent/s to care for their child.  By allowing the guardian legal rights over the child, a guardian has authority to: provide emotional support for the child, including protection and discipline; determine where and with whom the child will live; make decisions regarding the child’s care, education, and upbringing; provide for the child’s medical needs; and provide food and shelter.  Parents may maintain some rights.

An adult person who is a caregiver, whether or not related, can apply for a guardianship; such custody is not limited to blood relatives, but based on what is best for the emotional and physical well-being of the child.  These guardianships can be unlimited and will terminate when the child turns 18 years old or limited for a specific period of time.

Similarly, a grandparent or other relative can file an action in court to obtain custody or visitation rights when it is in the best interests of the child.  In a custody arrangement, the grandparent or other relative will have physical custody and care for the child and the parent/s may maintain their parental custodial rights.  These custody arrangements may be for a limited or unlimited time period.

Grandparents can also seek court-ordered visitation rights with a minor child in situations when they are otherwise being denied visitation.

"I love good and caring lawyers who are advocates, who are defenders, who are problem solvers, and who are peacemakers."  ~Janet Reno